Wednesday, March 14, 2018

teacher discourages reading

One day, in Kindergarten, the teacher said it was play time.  All the other kids ran off to various spots around the room.  I was the last one still standing by the tables we had been sitting at.  I looked around at the various play stations.  There were already kids playing with the blocks, and then toy kitchen, and the puzzles.  Everywhere seemed full.  But then past everything else was the bookcase.  So I walked over and took out a book and started reading.  I think it was that story about a guy and a construction truck of some kind digging a hole.

A minute later, the teacher comes over and says, "It's not reading time, it's playing time."
I say, "Reading is playing."
She says, "Anyway, Kindergarteners can't read."
So I looked down at the page and read a sentence aloud, and then looked back up at her.
She guffawed at me, and then walked away, at least leaving me to read in peace.

After a few minutes, another kid came over and asked me to read to her.  I started back at the beginning of the book.  I did different voices for the characters.  Soon, half the class was gathered around, and I was turning the book so everyone could see the pictures after I read each sentence.

Then the teacher comes over again, her hands balled into fists, looming over us with a glare.  She says again, "It's not reading time, it's playing time."  All the other kids scatter back to their previous stations.  Then I look at the teacher like "seriously?" and she says "go play", so I put the book back on the shelf and flop over to the area where kids are playing with those little wooden puzzles where you just have to fill in the frame with like 12 pieces.  Someone puts a piece in the wrong place, so I move it to the right place.  He starts arguing with me about where it goes, and I try to explain how you have to look at the picture to see how the shapes match up, but he won't listen, so I give up and go back to reading.  The least I can say for that teacher is that she didn't try to stop me from reading again after that.  But what damage did she do to the other kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment