Wednesday, March 14, 2018

unfairly punished for not being early enough

We moved to VA when I was in the middle of 4th grade.  We moved into our new apartment on 1-14-97.  I don't specifically remember, but it was probably the next day when my mom took me to the nearest school to register.  It was about 10am.

Some administrator led us through the gigantic school to my new classroom, and the teacher, who I think was maybe named Shears?  I don't remember., came to the door and talked nicely to us, but then she said that the class was half white half black and I was throwing off the balance, and they arranged the desks in 6 groups of 4, and now there would have to be one group of 5, and I felt like she was blaming me for showing up and changing things.  But it could have just been jokes.  She told my mom "we start at 8:30" and I don't remember if I said anything, but I was thinking that we already knew that because the admin from the office already told us.

My mom brought me the next day at 8:25.  I saw a "journal assignment" on the board and took out some paper to start doing it, but before I'd written anything, the teacher said, "Chelsea, you'll have to stay in at recess to do the journal assignment since you were late."

I said like, what, i'm not late, it's not even 8:30 yet.  I had thought I was getting an early start on an assignment.

She said like, no, we start at 8:15.  And when I told her that she even said 8:30 yesterday, she just kept saying "we start at 8:15".

I told my mom about it and she brought me to school again the next day and talked to the teacher about it.  She kept saying "all my kids get here at 8:15, so we start at 8:15".  My mom and I both pointed out that I wasn't there, so no, all her kids did not get there at 8:15, but she just kept repeating that same sentence.  So then my mom said "OK!" in her "you're a stupid piece of shit but I give up" voice, and she told me that she would just bring me at 8:15 from then on.

No comments:

Post a Comment